Festival Essentials

Post date: Friday 30 August 2013

I know that festival season is coming to an end, so this post may well be rendered pointless, but I have finally received a camera from my insurance company and felt the need to post something. Arrest me. 

I have only ever been to three festivals, so I'm not going to sit here and pretend to have the same festival-packing expertise as the likes of Kate Moss. However, this year was the first time I managed to pack efficiently and so I'd like to think I have now nailed the essentials. 
I rue the day I packed for Glastonbury and decided that taking two tonnes of playsuits, dresses, skirts, shoes and jumpers seemed like a bright idea because "I might wear them". I also rue the day I packed my entire make-up collection for Shambala because "I might have my picture taken". To sum up, when looking back on previous packing experiences, a lot of ruing is done. 
However this year, something clicked in my brain and I realised that I didn't need to take four vest tops, or two mascaras, or three pairs of black leggings. That's right, one pair of black leggings is enough! Who would've thought? So here I have put together what I thought were the essentials (well, not all the essentials... I didn't fancy trying to take an arty shot of toilet paper for my blog...). 


Glitter.
Glitter was the first thing I packed this year; when else can you run around with sparkly bits all over your face without being referred to a mental hospital? Try and get as many different colours and types as possible because if there's one thing you can't over-pack, it's glitter. 


Hair Products.
The only products I took with me were a dry shampoo and a sun protector spray. Writing that felt a bit like making a rather dirty, unhygienic confession but I'm sure it's acceptable to spend four days in a field without giving your hair a proper wash... isn't it? At the end of the day, your hair can recover from a bit of grease and mud but there's no recovering from sun damage so I'd like to think I've got my priorities straight. Or at least, that's what I'll tell myself whilst jealously staring at everyone else's shiny locks.


Baby Wipes.
There was no way of photographing these to mask the reality of what they really are. Sainsbury's Basics Baby Wipes. If you don't want to spend an hour queueing for private showers, and you don't want to go in the public showers and end up seeing other people's privates, then baby wipes are the only way!


Camera.
There was a teeny-tiny part of me that was at one point considering taking my SLR to Shambala this year, but after the great apartment robbery of July 2013 that idea went straight out the window. Instead I packed up my trusty Kodak KV270 and was on my way. I've been using this camera for two years now and it's perfect for festivals as it's compact, robust and the element of surprise when getting the pictures developed makes everything a little more fun (well, I think it's fun but maybe I just lead a very sad life). Instead of investing in a film camera, you can always purchase disposable cameras online which are just as good!


Bag.
I thought I was being wise when I logged on to eBay two days before the festival and purchased a drawstring bag for 99p. It turns out, I was not. After 24 hours the whole thing had fallen apart and I came to terms with the fact I may have to buy a bag from one of the stalls. None of the bags were particularly to my "high-waisted skirts and Toshop boots" taste, but I did manage to settle for one that I thought I could carry off without looking like I was about to perform some kind of voodoo. The moral of the story is, take a sturdy bag with you.



Clothes.
Obviously, clothes are essential... you don't really need me to tell you that. However, you must pack a couple of super snazzy items that you wont always get the chance to wear day to day. Perhaps an offensively loud Hawaiian shirt, or some scaly leggings, maybe a Pikachu onesie or some glittery hotpants... This is the one item that gets a free pass when it comes taking up room in your bag.


So that's it, as long as you've got a raincoat and some flowers to go in your hair you are good to go!
KJ xo

Leave a note